President Trump in a telephone conversation with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe agree to “take all necessary measures to protect” Japan after the last ICBM North Korea launched, reported Associated Press.
The call took place late Sunday night Washington time and mid-morning Monday Tokyo time. During the call the two leaders agreed to a deal to pursue further action against Pyongyang after the launch on Friday.
The Japanese prime minister, after the conversation with President Trump told to reporters that the efforts to find calm and peaceful resolution to North Korea’s latest spate of missile tests and unilateral “escalation” failed and more pressures needed to be brought to bear on Pyongyang.
“International society, including Russia and China, need to take this seriously and increase pressure,” Abe said, according to Reuters. He added that Japan would be increasing its defensive capabilities against a North Korean attack in cooperation with the United States and pledged that he would keep his people safe.
A White House statement issued after the phone call said both leaders “agreed that North Korea poses a grave and growing direct threat to the United States, Japan, the Republic of Korea, and other countries near and far.”
President Trump’s phone call with Abe came at the end of a fast-moving weekend in Washington on the North Korea front, following Pyongyang’s latest test of a new ICBM purportedly capable of reaching almost all of the U.S. mainland.
On Saturday, Nikki Haley the U.S. Ambassador in the United States released a strong statement where she said that America is going to be seeking an emergency meeting of the U.N Security Council and she hinted that a more significant answer was in the offing.
“There is no point in having an emergency session if it produces nothing of consequence,” Ambassador Haley said, according to the Washington Examiner.
“An additional Security Council resolution that does not significantly increase the international pressure on North Korea is of no value. In fact, it is worse than nothing, but it sends the message to the North Korean dictator that the international community is unwilling to seriously challenge him.”
“The time for talk is over,” Haley added.
CBS News reported that earlier this weekend America is going to initiate a Security Council to discuss additional sanctions, that might include “include restricting oil imports, increasing air and maritime restrictions and naming additional officials to sanctions freezing assets and banning travel.”
A diplomatic source told CBS News that America is going to press to put Kim Jong Un’s name on the frozen assets and travel ban lists, amove that is going to be vehemently opposed by China.